Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Acceptance Letter

Here is something personal while I work on a much more analytical post: My acceptance letter to York University. Its something that I can look back to and reflect on my state of mind at the time, and the progression I've made from that point. So here it is:

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern,

For the past several years, I have pursued my short term career goal of becoming a network administrator in the field of Information Technology. I have been successful in attaining my goal, and in the process have been constantly challenged to learn and develop my skills in the IT industry. In order to keep up to date in this evolving field, I read IT news daily, and engage in IT industry certificates to compliment my work experience. I continually dabble in technology that may or may not be required to continue my success. My life, as you can imagine, is surrounded with things that beep, blink and break.

Thus far, I feel that I have been successful in the IT industry. However, at this point in my life, I would like to expand my knowledge by improving my understanding of the human mind, a subject that I find fascinating. The undergraduate program in psychology, I believe, would help me reach a new level of understanding and patience with people and with organizations. I would like to gain deeper knowledge not only into organizational behaviour, but the field of psychology as a whole. For my personal enjoyment, I have read the autobiography of Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections, and have recently been reading Carl Jung’s Man and His Symbols. This has further contributed to my interest in pursuing studies in psychology.

In my current field, I am constantly surrounded by people and have to exercise patience and understanding to assist them with challenges they face with new technologies on a daily basis. As a result of my work experience, I have learned to work well under pressure and to excel in highly demanding situations. Great organizational and problem solving skills have been significant in my continued success. These skills that I’ve developed are transferable to an academic environment and therefore, feel capable of handling potential challenges presented during my studies at York.

I have carefully evaluated my current position, and at the moment my life has stabilized. As a result, I feel it is the right time to further develop my individual growth in the understanding of the human mind by pursuing a bachelor in psychology, and quite possibly graduate studies in this field in the future.

I sincerely hope that you will accept my request,

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for some reason this one got to me.
it gave me some hope that no matter wut i could be doing at this moment, that i could pursue further and achieve any of my dreams. thanks.